Invisalign Vs. Braces
posted: Dec. 16, 2021.
Are you unhappy with your crooked teeth? Braces or Invisalign, orthodontic treatment methods offered by your Portage, MI, orthodontist, Dr. Thomas Kwong of Kwong Orthodontics, can improve your smile.
Should you choose braces or Invisalign?
Both braces and Invisalign offer advantages and disadvantages. During your visit to the Portage, MI, dental office, your orthodontist can help you decide which option is best for you. When you make your decision you'll need to consider:
- Appearance: Braces consist of wires threaded through metal or ceramic brackets attached to your teeth. Ceramic braces are less noticeable than wire braces but still can be seen when you talk or smile. The Invisalign system uses a series of clear, removable aligner trays worn over teeth instead of wires and brackets. The trays blend in with your smile and offer a more discreet straightening method.
- Your orthodontic issues: Metal braces are ideal for any type of orthodontic issue and are used to treat crooked teeth, gaps, crowding, and mild-to-severe bite problems. They're the best choice if your orthodontic problems are complicated. Invisalign is also effective in straightening crooked teeth, closing gaps, and relieving crowding. It's best for mild-to-moderate issues.
- Convenience: Your aligner trays can be removed for a few hours while you play sports or attend special events. You'll also take them out to eat and brush and floss your teeth. Because braces are attached to your teeth with dental cement, they can't be removed during your treatment. You'll need to avoid hard or sticky foods and use special tools to floss around your wires if you wear braces.
- Your Commitment: You'll need to follow your orthodontist's advice regarding cleaning and caring for your braces or aligner trays. Adhering to a wearing schedule is obviously much easier when your braces are attached to your teeth. Failing to keep your aligner trays in your mouth for 20 to 22 hours per day could affect your progress and mean that you'll need to wear your trays longer than you anticipated.
- Comfort: Brace wires can sometimes come loose and irritate your mouth or gums. You may also experience discomfort for a day or two after an adjustment. Invisalign trays can feel a little uncomfortable when you first start using them. Luckily, most people soon adjust to both orthodontic treatment methods.
Correct your orthodontic issues with braces or Invisalign? Call (269) 327-4459 to schedule an appointment with your orthodontist in Portage, MI, Dr. Kwong of Kwong Orthodontics.